Year of the Beetle (2021)
Performing Live in North Carolina State Parks – It's The Beetles!
Every year, North Carolina State Parks has celebrated an annual theme in all of our state parks. Programs, festivals and events throughout the state support the annual theme.
The Interpretive and Education Council, a diverse group of park staff members from across the state, selects the theme each year based on suggestions and nominations.
A unique collectible bandana for the annual theme is available for sale at the park webstore or at each park office and visitor center.
Below are some resources for park staff and educators to tie in to the 2021 annual theme.
- Beetle Family Match Game worksheet
- List of Beetle Fun Facts
- List of Beetle Jokes
- Label the Beetle Life Cycle worksheet
- Label the Beetle Anatomy worksheet
- List of Dung Beetle Facts
- Dung Beetle Life Cycle graphic
- Dung Beetle Poem
- Beetle Do Die activity (print on cardstock for best results)
- Beetle Benefits! information sheet
- Bess Beetle information sheet
- Bess Beetle Care information sheet
- Anatomy of a Bess Beetle information sheet
- Draw and Label a Bess Beetle worksheet
- Bess Beetle Investigation lesson plan
- Bess Beetle Investigation student worksheet
- Bess Beetle Habitat Scavenger Hunt lesson plan
- Bess Beetle Tractor Pull lesson plan
- Common Beetles of North Carolina
- NC Biodiversity Project: Beetles of North Carolina website
- Common Firefly Flash Patterns diagram
- Book: Beetles of Eastern North America
- Book: A Field Guide to the Beetles of North America (Peterson Field Guides)
- Book: Fireflies, Glow-worms, and Lightning Bugs
- Book: Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America
- Book: Silent Sparks – The Wondrous World of Fireflies
- Book: Tracts and Sign of Insects and Other Invertebrates
- The Beetle Ring (NaturalWorlds.org)
- Beetle Printouts (EnchantedLearning.com)
- Lady Beetles (Cornell University)
- Firefly Watch (Museum of Science, Boston)
- Schematics on Building a Ladybug House