There are no entrance fees to enjoy the park. In addition to park-specific rules, please read the systemwide Park Rules for all North Carolina State Parks.
For season dates and regulations for each type of trout water, contact the NC Wildlife Resources Commission (WRC). A valid North Carolina fishing license and trout license are required for all streams, and regulations of the WRC are enforced throughout the park.
The following state park climbing regulations apply at all times:
- All climbers must register with the park staff and must keep in their possession a valid rock climbing and rappelling permit.
- NC state parks do not install or maintain any climbing route or fixed anchors. New routes are not permitted.
- Climbers climb at their own risk and are responsible for obtaining proper equipment and training. Unroped climbing is discouraged.
- Route selection and the decision to rely on any fixed anchors are the climber's responsibility.
- Climbing activities are permitted in designated areas only and must coincide with the park's posted hours of operation.
- All accidents and injuries must be reported to park staff.
- Note: All climbers and rappellers must schedule their activity in order to leave the park by the posted closing hour.
Event permits. Some events—such as weddings, athletic contests, company parties, etc.—may require a Special Activity Permit. If you're unsure whether such a permit is necessary for your event, call the park office beforehand. You can download a Special Activity Permit application or obtain one from the park office.
Research and collection permits. A permit is required for any project involving the collection, removal or disturbance of any natural or cultural resource of any state park unit and for projects that require placing monitoring equipment in any state park unit. Learn more about research and collection permits or fill out a permit application online.
A $25 fee will be charged for all returned checks.
3042 Frank Parkway
Roaring Gap, NC 28668
GPS: 36.3873, -81.0273
November - February: 7am - 6pm
March, April, September & October: 7am - 8pm
May - August: 7am - 9pm
Closed Christmas Day
Family & Group Campgrounds remain open after hours via the Royal Camp Ln Road.
8am - 5pm daily, except closed weekends December - February.
Closed state holidays.
Year-round, from 7am until park closes.
Shelters close 30 minutes before park closes.
Exhibit and Historic Site
Exhibits: open during park office hours.
Homestead site: open weekends, May through October. Visitors are welcome to walk the homestead site grounds when the site is not open.
Garden Creek Baptist Church historic site: services are held at 9am every Sunday, May - October and first Sunday, November - April. Visitors are welcome to walk the church grounds when the church is closed.