There are no entrance fees to enjoy the park. In addition to park-specific rules, please read the systemwide Park Rules for all North Carolina State Parks.
Event permits. Some events—such as weddings, athletic contests, company parties, etc.—may require a Special Activity Permit (Please check with park to see if fees apply). If you're unsure whether such a permit is necessary for your event, call the park office beforehand. You may also obtain one from the park office.
Research and collection permits. A permit is required for any project involving the collection, removal or disturbance of any natural or cultural resource of any state park unit and for projects that require placing monitoring equipment in any state park unit. Learn more about research and collection permits or fill out a permit application online.
The following rules and regulations are in effect throughout the park for the protection of our natural resources and our visitors.
A complete list of rules is available at The Summit Environmental Education & Conference Center, 339 Conference Center Drive, Browns Summit, NC 27214.
- The possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited.
- The removal, destruction or injury of any animal, mineral, or plant is prohibited.
- Mountain bikes, horseback riding, camping and fires are not permitted in this area.
- Pets must be on a leash no longer than six feet and must be attended at all times.
- Firearms and other weapons are prohibited except that those with a proper permit may possess a concealed handgun in permitted areas and under the requirements of North Carolina G.S. 14-415.11.
- North Carolina State Parks are wildlife preserves. Hunting and trapping are not permitted.
- North Carolina motor vehicle and traffic laws apply in the park.
- Graffiti and Defacing Public Property is against the law.
- Littering is illegal. Place all trash and recyclables in proper containers.
A $25 fee will be charged for all returned checks.
Open seven days a week with the following seasonal gate hours:
Nov - Feb: 8am - 6pm
March, April, May, Sept and Oct: 8am - 8pm
June - August: 8am - 9pm
Closed Christmas Day