Rangers hold regularly scheduled educational and interpretive programs about Mount Mitchell State Park. Check the Events calendar for more information.
To arrange a special exploration of Mount Mitchell State Park for your group or class, contact the park office.
A fully equipped classroom is available for groups. Contact the park office for reservation information.
Educational materials about Mount Mitchell State Park have been developed for grades 4-6 and are correlated to North Carolina's competency-based curriculum in science, social studies, mathematics and English/language arts. The Mount Mitchell program introduces students to the forest types of the Blue Ridge Mountains, focusing on the potential causes for forest decline in the mountains and at Mount Mitchell. Accompanying the program is a teacher's booklet and workshop, free of charge to educators.
Want to know how Mount Mitchell measures up? Check out the park's museum, and you'll find out how the east coast's highest peak stacks up against its neighbors as soon as you walk in the door. The 1,385-square-foot exhibit hall is llocated near the mountain's summit,It offers visitors insight into the mountain's natural, cultural and historical faces.
- A life-size wood carving of "Big" Tom Wilson, the mountain guide who led a search for the person who first calculated Mount Mitchell to be the highest peak on the east coast. The statue was created by local award-winning carver David Boone.
- A replica of "Big" Tom's cabin with historical artifacts and buttons that allow visitors to listen to four different stories about his life.
- A three-dimensional topographic map of the Black Mountains with interactive buttons.
- A geology section with a hands-on demonstration of a rock fault and four samples of the different rock types in the state park. Magnifying glasses are available for visitors who want a closer inspection.
- Four dioramas that depict animal life in the state park.
Mount Mitchell State Park
November - February: 7am - 6pm
March, April: - 7am - 8pm
September, October: 7am - 9pm
May - August: 7am - 10pm
Closed Christmas Day
Park Office Hours:
8am - 5pm Monday - Sunday, April - October
8am - 5pm Monday - Friday, November - March
May - October: 10am - 6pm
May 1 - August 31, 10am - 8pm daily
September 1 - October 31, 10am - 7pm daily
Concession Stand / Gift Shop:
May - October, 10am - 6pm daily