Recent heavy rainfall at the park and in surrounding areas has created dangerously swift water currents in Lake Tillery. Please call the park office before coming to rent a boat to see if boat rentals are available that day.Last updated on: Thursday, June 20, 2019
All bridle trails have been deemed unsafe and thus CLOSED until further notice due to severe damage to the trail surface caused from heavy rainfall during Hurricane Florence. These damaged trail sections are currently being redesigned and rerouted to make them safe again for visitors.Last updated on: Tuesday, June 4, 2019
Boat rentals are $7/hour per boat. This includes canoes, kayaks and standup paddleboards. Swimming pool rates are $6 for adults, $4 for children (3-12 years old) and children under 3 are free. Both of these facilities are open daily, 10am - 5:30 pm.Last updated on: Sunday, May 26, 2019
The discovery of artifacts in the area attests to the presence of Native Americans 10,000 years before European settlement. European colonization began along the banks of the Pee Dee River in the 1700s. In 1780, John Kirk, a Scotch-Irish settler, established a public ferry, linking the area to a major roadway. Local legends recount the passage of noted people, including Henry Ford, Thomas Edison and Jefferson Davis.
Development of the park began in the 1930s through the efforts of a local committee interested in establishing a state park in the area. By 1937, more than 3,000 acres of land had been acquired, much of it donated by the citizens of Stanly County. The park was opened to the public in the summer of 1939.
Early development of park property was a cooperative effort between state and federal governments. Work crews of the Civilian Conservation Corps and the Work Projects Administration constructed many of the facilities from 1937 to 1942. Additional facilities were added with state funds in the 1950s and 1960s. Today, the park covers 4,792 acres.
The 1800s are still alive at Morrow Mountain. History buffs will enjoy a visit to the homestead of Dr. Francis Kron, which is located at the foot of Fall Mountain. Dr. Kron, who was born in Prussia and emigrated to America in 1823, is recognized as the first medical doctor to settle and practice medicine in the southern piedmont of North Carolina. Dr. Kron traveled long distances to care for those in the area, practicing medicine until after the age of 80. A noted horticulturist, he was also actively involved in education. His home, doctor's office and infirmary, and greenhouse were reconstructed in the 1960s and appear today much as they did in 1870.
49104 Morrow Mountain Road
Albemarle, NC 28001
GPS: 35.373724, -80.07347
December, January & February: 7am - 7pm
March, April & October: 7am - 9pm
May - September: 7am - 10pm
November: 7am - 8pm
Closed Christmas Day.
10am - 5pm daily
10am - 5:30pm daily
Memorial Day - Labor Day
Open seven days a week until August.
10am - 5:30pm daily
March 30th - November 3rd
Open only on weekends before Memorial Day and after Labor Day.
8am - 4:30pm Daily
Office hours may deviate on state holidays and weekends.