176 Millpond Road
Gatesville, NC 27938
GPS: 36.437105, -76.70158
November - February: 8am - 6pm
March and October: 8am - 8pm
April, May, September: 8am - 8pm
June - August: 8am -9pm
Closed Christmas Day
Visitor Center Hours
November – February
8:00 am – 5:00 pm
March – October
8:00 am – 6:30 pm
Trails at the park are open, but the visitor center and all restrooms are CLOSED. Park gates will close at sunset.
All events and programs have been CANCELED until further notice.
All camping facilities are CLOSED. Campers with reservations will be contacted by the reservation system staff to be issued a full refund.Last updated on: Friday, March 20, 2020
Settlement in the Gates County area began in 1660. Residents of early rural communities made a living by farming and lumbering. In the early 1700s, Hunters Millpond was built at the head of Bennetts Creek to provide a means of processing and marketing regional produce. Highway construction destroyed this millpond in 1922. But further downstream, Norfleets Millpond, which was built in 1811, thrived. Gristmills, a sawmill, a farm supply store and other enterprises made the area the center of trade in Gates County. Thus, the pond became known as Merchants Millpond.
Shortly before World War II operations around the millpond came to a halt and millers sold the land to developers. In the 1960s, A.B. Coleman of Moyock purchased the property and later donated 919 acres, including the millpond, to the state. His generous donation led to the establishment of Merchants Millpond State Park in 1973. In the same year, the Nature Conservancy contributed an additional 925 acres of woodlands to the park that now encompasses more than 3,250 acres.