7321 N.C. 126
Nebo, NC 28761
GPS: 35.750378, -81.892075
Day-use areas at Paddy's Creek and Catawba River:
December - February: 7am - 7pm
March, April & October: 7am - 9pm
May - September: 7am - 10pm
November: 7am - 8pm
All areas closed Christmas Day
Canal Bridge Boat Access Hours:
January - December: open 24 hours per day
Hidden Cove Boat Access Hours:
December - February: closed
March, April, & October: 7am - 8pm
May - September: 7am - 9pm
November: 7am - 7pm
May 1 - September 30: 10am - 6pm
Mountain bike trails, including the Linville River Fonta Flora access, are closed today, January 25. Please note that the directions have changed. The Wimba Trail is now counterclockwise, and the Tindo Trail is now clockwise.
If the date is more than 24 hours old, please call the park office at 828-584-7728 for the latest information.
The Hidden Cove Access Area closed for the season on December 1 and will reopen on March 1, 2020. The Canal Bridge Access remains open with 24 hours daily, throughout the year. Please contact the park at 828-584-7728 or email@example.com with any questions.
New gate hours are now in effect for December 1 through February 29. The park opens at 7 am, and gates close at 7 pm. The park will be closed on Christmas Day.
Please contact the park office at 828-584-7728 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.Last updated on: Tuesday, December 3, 2019
Located at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains, between the towns of Marion and Morganton, Lake James is 1,200 feet above sea level. The lake was created between 1916 and 1923 with the construction of dams across the Catawba River and two tributaries, Paddy Creek and Linville River. These impoundments were connected by a broad canal to form a 6,812-acre body of water. Named for James B. Duke, founder of Duke Power Company, Lake James has been a hydroelectric unit for the power company since the early 1900s.
Lake James is one of the most recent additions to the North Carolina State Parks system. A result of strong local support and the efforts of area legislative delegations, the park was established in 1987 by the North Carolina General Assembly. Funds were appropriated for the purchase of 565 acres of land and for the initial phase of facility development. Lake James was the first park in the state's history to receive funds for development and operation upon its acquisition.