Lifeguard - 4 Seasonal Positions
Dates Employed: May – September (Memorial Day weekend – Labor Day Weekend)
Hours: 24 – 40 Hours per Week; typically, 8 hour workdays with 1 hour lunch
Weekend and holiday work required.
Pay: $10.30 per Hour
Minimum Age: 16
Required Certifications: Lifeguard certification from an accredited lifeguarding organization and
CPR and First Aid certification through American Heart Association or Red Cross
Job Description: Monitor protected swim beach area on Bear Island, a remote barrier island, to provide assistance, protection, prevention, and emergency response to visitors when required. Lifeguard certification from an accredited lifeguarding organization and American Heart Assn. or Red Cross CPR and First Aid Certification required.
- Maintain surveillance of visitors and swimmers for emergencies during operating hours
- Custodial and routine maintenance of bathhouse, boardwalk, support building, and swim beach
- Water testing
- Participate in daily training
- Provide first aid and emergency medical procedures when necessary
- Assist with fee collections when necessary
- Use oral and visual communication techniques
- Interact with visitors and provide customer service
- Understand and ensure rules and regulations of protected swim area are adhered to by park visitors
- Use of two-way/VHF radio
- Work as a team member
- Other duties as assigned
- Lifeguard certification from an accredited lifeguarding organization required
- CPR and First Aid certification through American Heart Association or Red Cross required
- Basic Computer Skills
How to apply
Complete the NC State Employment Application (PD-107) and mail with original signature to Hammocks Beach State Park.
Specify position name/title (vacancy # not required). Multiple positions for the same park may be listed.
Applications received prior to April 14, 2019 (unless extended) receive full consideration for seasonal positions at Hammocks Beach State Park.
Applications received after April 14, 2019 (unless extended) will be considered only as positions become vacant and funding is available.
Applicants selected for interviews will be contacted by the hiring supervisor for the position. Candidates chosen for employment will be notified as soon as possible, around April 30, 2019 unless extended).