Ferry Operator - 4 Seasonal Positions
Dates Employed: Flexible: Typically, 1 or 2 Positions April – October; 2 or 3 Positions May – September (Memorial Day weekend – Labor Day Weekend)
Hours: 20 – 40 Hours per Week; typically, 8.5 hours shifts April, May, September, and October, 10 hour shifts Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day Weekend; Weekend and holiday work required.
Pay: $13.00 per Hour
Minimum Age: 21
Required Tests: Drug Testing/Screening required by US Coast Guard
Job Description: Navigate waterways in and around Hammocks Beach State Park and provide safe transportation of passengers to and from Bear Island, a remote barrier island. Position requires US Coast Guard Master Captains (25 ton) License.
- Controls operations of ferry vessels and inclusive systems
- Directs and coordinates activities of crew or workers, such as loading and unloading of passengers or equipment
- Responsible for records of daily activities, movements, and report preparation
- Instructs crew and assigns duties to deckhand or any staff aboard ferry vessel
- Signals deckhand to rig lines, open or close gates, and secure ramps
- Inspects vessels to ensure safety of passengers and crew
- Efficient and safe operation of vessels and equipment
- Understand and ensure compliance with all rules and regulations
- Use first aid and emergency procedures as necessary
- Use of two-way/VHF radio
- Work as a team member
- Other duties as assigned
- United States Coast Guard Master (25 Tons) Captain’s License required
- CPR and First Aid certification through American Heart Association or Red Cross required
- Basic Computer Skills
- Customer Service experience preferred
How to apply
Complete the NC State Employment Application (PD-107) and mail with original signature to Hammocks Beach State Park.
Specify position name/title (vacancy # not required). Multiple positions for the same park may be listed.
Applications received prior to April 14, 2019 (unless extended) receive full consideration for seasonal positions at Hammocks Beach State Park.
Applications received after April 14, 2019 (unless extended) will be considered only as positions become vacant and funding is available.
Applicants selected for interviews will be contacted by the hiring supervisor for the position. Candidates chosen for employment will be notified as soon as possible, around April 30, 2019 (unless extended).