Ferry Deck Hand - 3 Seasonal Positions
Dates Employed: 1 position May - October, 2 positions May - September; (Memorial Day weekend – Labor Day Weekend)
Hours: 20 – 40 Hours per Week; 10 hour shifts Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day Weekend, 8 hour shifts May, September and October. Weekend and holiday work required.
Pay: $8.00 per Hour
Minimum Age: 16
Required Tests: Drug Testing/Screening required by US Coast Guard
Job Description: Support the Ferryboat Operator in the safe operation of ferry vessels to and from Bear Island. Assist with safe loading and unloading of passengers. Provide clear information and answer passenger questions in an engaging manner.
- Collect and tally passenger tickets at the mainland ferry dock
- Supervise the orderly passenger access and boarding of ferry vessel
- Accurately compile and maintain records of daily activities and passenger counts and totals
- Communicates passenger number counts to captain, office and appropriate staff members
- Instructs passengers and answer questions
- Rigs mooring lines, open or close gates, and secure ramps
- Assist with inspection of vessel to ensure safety of passengers and crew
- Assist with efficient and safe operation of vessels and equipment
- Assist ferryboat operator with adherence to rules and regulations
- Interact with visitors, provide information and customer service to passengers
- Use of two-way/VHF radio
- Work as a team member
- Other duties as assigned
- Basic Computer Skills
- Boating experience and maritime knowledge
- North Carolina Boaters Safety Course preferred
- Customer service, working/volunteering with the public experience
How to apply
Complete the NC State Employment Application (PD-107) and mail with original signature to Hammocks Beach State Park.
Specify position name/title (vacancy # not required). Multiple positions for the same park may be listed.
Applications received prior to April 14, 2019 (unless extended) receive full consideration for seasonal positions at Hammocks Beach State Park.
Applications received after April 14, 2019 (unless extended) will be considered only as positions become vacant and funding is available.
Applicants selected for interviews will be contacted by the hiring supervisor for the position. Candidates chosen for employment will be notified as soon as possible, around April 30, 2019 (unless extended).