Photos and Videos
The Nuwati and Cragway trails have reopened after undergoing extensive repairs from storm and flood damage.
This includes the Nuwati Trail campsites- Streamside, The Hermitage, Storyteller’s Rock and The Refuge- which can be reserved at reserveamerica.com.
Seeing a bear in its wild, natural environment is a very special experience; and is not an imminent risk – as long as you keep your distance, act responsibly.
Please adhere to the following guidelines to stay safe in Bear Country:
*Make enough noise so that you do not surprise a bear. You can put bells, or other noise maker on your pack to make noise as you hike.
* Keep your dog on a leash.
* If you notice a bear nearby, pack up your food and trash immediately and vacate the area as soon as possible.
* If a bear approaches, move away slowly; do not run.
* If necessary, attempt to scare the animal away with loud shouts, by banging pans together, or throwing rocks and sticks at it.
* Never approach and never feed a bear.
* Do NOT store food in tents.
* Properly store food and scented items like toothpaste by using a bear-proof container/ hang food away from campsite.
* Clean up food or garbage around fire rings, grills, or other areas of your campsite.
* Do not leave food unattended.
* Never run away from a bear- back away slowly and make lots of noise.
For more tips, visit:
Major trail renovations are being done on the Profile Trail and will last through 2020.
The trail WILL remain open during this time unless otherwise stated. To ensure the safety of contractors and other hikers, please be aware and follow trail workers’ guidance for safe passage. Your cooperation ensures the trail will remain open during this time.Last updated on: Wednesday, October 2, 2019
Grandfather Extension Trail and part of the Grandfather Trail. From The Private Attraction up the ladders to MacRae Peak.
9872 N.C. 105 S.
Banner Elk, NC 28604
GPS: 36.111200, -81.811140
March, April, May, September, October: 8am - 8pm
June, July, August: 8am - 9pm
To accommodate early hikes, park gates are not closed on a daily basis; however, they may close due to weather conditions.
OFFICE HOURS: The state park office is open Monday through Friday, 8am - 4:30pm. You may contact our office during business hours or after hours; leave a message and we will return your call as soon as possible.
P.O. Box 9
Linville, NC 28646