WEEKEND GENERAL UTILITY WORKER (Position #60095498) (16 hours)
Dates Employed: May – November (Dates are tentative pending budget approval)
Hours: 16 hrs/week: Saturday and Sunday. Eight-hour workdays plus 30 minutes for lunch.
Job Description: Position includes, but is not limited to the following activities:
- Daily Operations – Collect hiking and camping permits from trailheads. Open and clean Profile Trailhead facilities on time. Pick-up trash in parking lot and along roadway. Clean facilities throughout the day. Pickup all litter at trailheads and on campsites and trails. Perform minor and routine trail maintenance and clean campsites. Provide positive visitor contact throughout the park; provide visitors with accurate park information and any pertinent and timely weather and/or trail condition information. When necessary, supervise vehicle parking in the Profile parking lot. Clean office and restrooms; remove trash and recycling. Maintain clean state vehicle. Submit all required paperwork to supervisor on time: record approved work time in computer system.
- As directed – Expect to perform major trail work and other park projects. Work with and/or supervise volunteers on projects. Employee may assist with interpretive programs and special events.
- Requirements – This position is very physical and the employee must be able to perform work outside in all weather conditions. Employee must be able to hike and work for eight hours on strenuous trails and must be able to lift heavy rocks and work with all forms of hand tools. Employee must be able to work with minimal oversight and supervision. Employee must be comfortable spending time alone outside. Employee must provide sturdy boots suitable for hiking and working on the mountain. Outerwear must be provided by employee. Two (2) uniform shirts will be provided at no cost. Employee must provide green work pants following the issuance of first paycheck. CPR training is provided to employee after hire date and certification is required. CPR training is provided to employee after hire date and certification is required.
How to apply
Please fill out a North Carolina State Government Application for Employment (PD-107).
Submit the completed application:
- by dropping it off at the park office:
9872 N.C. 105 S.
Banner Elk, NC 28604
- mailing it to:
PO Box 9
Linville, NC 28646
- or emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org