General Utility Worker (3 positions)
until the position is filled.
April to November (dates are tentative pending budget approval)
- 40 hours per week with 2 days off
- 8-hour workdays plus 30 minutes for lunch
- Weekend and holiday work required
- Flexible scheduling is possible for students
$11 per hour
Position includes, but is not limited to the following activities:
- Daily operations:
- Collect hiking and camping permits from trailheads
- Open and clean Profile Trailhead facilities on time
- Pick up trash in the parking lot and along the roadway
- Clean facilities throughout the day
- Pick up all litter at trailheads and on campsites and trails
- Perform minor and routine trail maintenance and clean campsites
- Provide positive visitor contact throughout the park and provide visitors with accurate park information and any pertinent and timely weather and/or trail condition information
- When necessary, supervise vehicle parking in the Profile parking lot
- Clean office and restrooms and remove trash and recycling
- Maintain a clean state vehicle
- Submit all required paperwork to supervisor on time and record approved work time in the computer system
- As directed:
- Expect to perform major trail work and other park projects
- Work with and/or supervise volunteers on projects
- May assist with interpretive programs and special events
- This position is very physical and the employee must be able to perform work outside in all weather conditions.
- Employee must be able to hike and work for 8 hours on strenuous trails and must be able to lift heavy rocks and work with all forms of hand tools.
- Employee must be able to work with minimal oversight and supervision. Employee must be comfortable spending time alone outside.
- Employee must provide sturdy boots suitable for hiking and working on the mountain.
- Outerwear must be provided by employee. Two uniform shirts will be provided at no cost. Employee must provide green work pants following the issuance of first paycheck.
- CPR training is provided to employee after hire date and certification is required.
How to apply
All applicants must submit a completed and signed NC State Government Paper Application for Employment (PD-107) to the park office. Resumes are welcome but cannot be accepted in lieu of an application.
P.O. Box 9
Linville, NC 28646
9872 Hwy 105 S
Banner Elk, NC 28604