Shop Reservations Newsroom

GO TO PARK

History

History

Prior to 1978, flooding of the Neuse River caused extensive damage to public and private properties including roadways, railroads, industrial sites and farmlands. The Falls Lake Project was developed by the US Army Corps of Engineers to control damaging floods and to supply a source of water for surrounding communities. Construction of the dam began in 1978 and was completed in 1981. In addition to recreation opportunities, Falls Lake now provides flood and water-quality control, water supply, and fish and wildlife conservation.

Mitchell Mill State Natural Area

Read about the history of this 105 acre tract—part of the largest granite dome on the east coast (PDF).

Bike trails:

CLOSED TODAY


13304 Creedmoor Road
Wake Forest, NC 27587

919-676-1027
falls.lake@ncparks.gov

 

Map of North Carolina

GPS: 35.735554, -79.016569

 

*HOURS FOR DAY-USE AREAS:
  • November to February:
    8:00am to 6:00pm
     
  • March to April:
    8:00am to 8:00pm
     
  • May to August:
    8:00am to 9:00pm
     
  • September to October:
    8:00am to 8:00pm

Closed Christmas Day

*HOURS FOR CAMPGROUND GATES:

All campgrounds at Falls Lake State Recreation Area offer 24-hour access when the campground is operating.

Campgrounds closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day

*PLEASE NOTE: Day-use hours and 24-hour campground access are dependent on the operating season schedule.

 

PARK OFFICE HOURS:

8:00am to 5:00pm daily**

**Between Labor Day and Easter, office is closed on weekends and state holidays.