5564 Meat Camp Road
Todd, NC 28684
GPS: 36.332586, -81.690640
November - February: 7am - 6pm
March, April, May, September and October: 7am - 8pm
June - August: 7am - 9pm
Closed Christmas Day
Park Office Hours
8am - 5pm weekdays
Closed state holidays
The North Carolina Division of Parks and Recreation is currently working on a Master Plan for Elk Knob State Park. Please check this page for updates on the planning process.
Upcoming public meeting
Thursday, August 22
5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Optimist Park Clubhouse
1012 State Farm Road
Boone, NC 28607
Elk Knob State Park preserves and interprets the rare Long Valley Hope ecosystem and Southern Appalachian culture. It allows for a diversity of front and backcountry recreation adventure that is designed to be ecologically sensitive. The park is a regional leader in education and in celebration of the significance of the landscape and its cultural heritage.
Goals of the planning process
- Expand the park to further conserve important surrounding landscapes. This includes sensitive and priority habitats and lands that support the Division's goals.
- Connect the park to surrounding communities. Create a connection between the park and the surrounding mountain communities, both physically and through outreach and collaboration. Bring the community into the park by providing gathering spaces, event programming, and celebration of the local people and heritage.
- Celebrate and preserve the natural, cultural, and viewshed resources. Habitat is conserved for the rare and endangered species. Cultural resources are conserved. Important viewsheds are conserved as one of the most important assets of the park.
- Improve the park user's experience through facilities. Increase the experience by providing visitor service facilities that will provide expanded education and research opportunities, heritage learning, and interpretation, all contained in environmentally conscious facility design.
- Increase recreation access and connectivity, and enhance the unique existing opportunities. Incorporate the Northern Peaks State Trail, which will connect inaccessible areas. Establish hiking trails, elevate unique recreation activities such as snowshoeing and cross-country skiing. Provide overnight accommodation and camping for visitors.