Shop Reservations Newsroom


Alcohol Permit

Alcohol Permit Process for special events in a North Carolina state park

What's new

You can now apply for a permit to have alcohol at your special event in a North Carolina state park. To do so, you will need to submit an application for a Special Activity Permit for your event plus an application for an Alcohol Permit for your event. Please read all of the information below before filling out the permit applications.


Where to start

There are permit conditions you must fulfill in order for your permit to be considered for approval. These conditions are dependent upon the size and type of event and will vary from park to park. So, the first step is knowing where you want to have your event, how many people, and what types and how much alcohol you plan to have at the event. N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation reserves the right to deny any permit application if conditions are not met or if staff or other resources are not available to support the event.



The purpose of the Special Activity Permit is to provide details of the event and request the reservation of a certain area or facility, date, and time. The fee for the Special Activity Permit is nonrefundable and is dependent upon the type of event you are hosting and the expected attendance. Please note that if there are reservation fees associated with your event location — i.e. picnic shelter or community building — you will also need to pay that reservation fee in addition to the Special Activity Permit fee.

The purpose of the Alcohol Permit application is to gather details from a group or business requesting to serve alcohol at a North Carolina state park as part of the event detailed in the Special Activity Permit. The Alcohol Permit application fee is $200 and is nonrefundable. The $200 is charged in addition to the Special Activity Permit fee, any reservation fees, and any additional cost the park incurs in hosting the event.

The Alcohol Permit application, the Special Activity Permit application, and fees associated with permits and reservations must be submitted at least 14 days in advance of the event date.

 Download a Special Activity Permit application

 Download an Alcohol Permit application


Permit Approval

Alcohol permits include special conditions that must be met by the permittee in order for the permit to be approved. These are:

  1. Provide an Alcohol Beverage Control Commission-issued permit;
  2. Provide a certificate of insurance for the event; and
  3. Submit the payment for application fees, reservation fees, and additional fees.

All fees must be paid upon submission of the application, at least 14 days prior to the scheduled event date. Approval to serve alcohol is contingent upon providing all required support documentation listed as attachments on the forms.


Step-by-Step Guide

  1. Determine where and when you’d like to have your event. Permit applications must be submitted at least 14 days before the event. Details are available on each park page about reservable and otherwise available facilities at the park. Alcohol will not be permitted near swim beaches and between designated venues in the park during the event.
  2. Fill out the forms in full and prepare payments for both your Special Activity Permit ($45) and Alcohol Permit application fee ($200). 
  3. Submit both permit applications as early as possible to the park superintendent.
  4. The park superintendent or designee will inform you of all required conditions for the approval of your permit based on your event type, the number of expected attendees, and the amount of alcohol that will be on site.
  5. Read all conditions carefully! Multiple conditions have to be met for the permit to be approved. Both permit application fees are non-refundable.
  6. Request required documentation from your insurance provider, the Alcohol Beverage Commission, and any others needed to fulfill the conditions of your permit.
  7. Gather documentation of all fulfilled conditions of special activity and alcohol permits and submit it to the park superintendent or designee. 


Requirements and Conditions

  1. The permittee is responsible for ensuring that all required alcoholic beverage permits have been obtained and ensure compliance with all applicable statutes, rules, permits, and policies related to alcohol or the North Carolina Alcohol Beverage Commission. 
  2. Alcohol must be kept in the approved designated area(s) only. ABC permit rules and regulations must be followed at all times. ABC permit must be openly and conspicuously displayed where alcohol is served. 
  3. Temporary fencing may be required for outdoor areas where alcohol distribution and consumption occur. The permittee shall provide the required fencing at their own expense. Temporary fencing must be approved by the Division prior to use. 
  4. The permittee must provide adequate security and staffing for the event. The permittee shall provide personnel to ensure that NO alcohol will be served by or to, or possessed or consumed by, anyone under the legal drinking age of 21 years. Self-service of alcoholic beverages is prohibited. Open containers of alcoholic beverages may not leave the facilities or designated space. 
  5. Based on the size and nature of the event, additional park staff presence may be necessary to support the event, at the Division’s sole discretion. The permittee shall be responsible for all additional staffing and overtime costs associated with the event. 
  6. The permittee agrees to procure and maintain the following insurance coverages and limits at their own sole cost and expense: 
    1. General Liability insurance with a minimum amount of $1,000,000.00 per single occurrence. Defense costs shall be in excess of the limit of liability. 
    2. Liquor Liability insurance with a minimum amount of $2,000,000.00. 

All such insurance shall meet all laws of the State of North Carolina. Such insurance coverage shall be obtained from companies that are authorized to do business in North Carolina. The permittee shall at all times comply with the terms of such insurance policies, and all requirements of the insurer under such insurance policies. The permittee shall provide documentation of adequate insurance coverage with a certificate of insurance listing N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation as “Additional Insured”. 
The name and address on the certificate shall read: 
N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation
121 West Jones Street
1615 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1615 


All N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation rules and Special Activity Permit considerations apply.