100 Mile Challenge
To recognize our hiking enthusiasts and all who wish to get fit with us, we launched the 100 Mile Challenge. We encourage you to continue your hiking journey within the "Naturally Wonderful" North Carolina state parks and celebrate and reward your achievements with this program.
Watch this WRAL Out And About video segment about the 100 Mile Challenge!
Kids in Parks
North Carolina is proud to be part of "Kids in Parks" with 26 of our state parks participating in the TRACK Trail program. The TRACK Trail program offers family-friendly adventures with self-guided tours, games and prizes. Visit www.kidsinparks.com for additional information and locations of participating North Carolina state parks.
Kids (and pets!) are welcome to be a part of an adult's 'group' for the 100 Mile Challenge.
Day Hiking Safety Tips
- Wear sturdy, comfortable footwear with good ankle support, along with good socks. Be sure to “break in” your hiking boots before hitting the trail.
- Bring a trail map or take a picture of the map with your cell phone. Start small and choose the right trail for your fitness level.
- Lock your car and stow valuables in the trunk.
- Use sun screen, bug repellent, hat and sun glasses to protect your skin and eyes. Don't forget to check for ticks after your hike.
- Pack a snack and extra water.
- Pay attention to the weather. Dress appropriately, ideally in layers. Get off the trail before the weather gets bad.
- Hike with a friend. If your friend has four legs, he or she must be on an attended leash no longer than six feet at all times.
- Let someone know where you’re going and when you anticipate returning. Know the park’s phone number.
- Respect the trail, other hikers and wildlife. Stay on the marked trail, be courteous to other hikers, take pictures and leave with only memories of your experience.
- Do not remove any natural object. However, please do your part by carrying out your trash and any litter you may encounter along the way.
- Make sure that you finish your hike before the park closes.
- Enjoy the beautiful landscapes!